Leading intercultural and/or multinational teams successfully in an international context
You have already gained initial experience in leading a department or a team, but you know that your team management experiences cannot simply be transferred to leading intercultural or multinational teams. You are aware of the fact that international leadership skills are becoming increasingly important and you would like to educate yourself further in this area.
People from different cultures do not automatically collaborate well. What does it take to lead an intercultural/multinational team and to turn it into a “high performance team”?
In our seminar, we will develop the important basics for leading intercultural/multinational teams successfully.
- Raising awareness of the challenges and success factors in international/intercultural team management: What are the characteristics of successful teams? What are the characteristics of less successful teams?
- What are the phases of team building?
- Basics of communication and active listening
- The meaning of trust for the success of the team
- Developing intercultural basics: What is culture? What is the influence of culture on behaviour, norms, and values in a team environment?
- Introduction to the concept of cultural dimensions
- Discovering and classifying the different manifestations of cultural dimensions in international teams. Results of the GLOBE study with regard to the management styles considered efficient in different countries
- Handling of diversity and conflicts in the team
You will learn
The practical challenges of leading an intercultural team will be the main focus of the seminar. We place special emphasis on the following questions:
- Which basics of communication do I have to know as a team leader to actively shape the process of team building?
- Which expectations, fears, or barriers can occur during the different phases of the team building process, and what influence does the respective cultural context of the team members and the team leader have? How can team members and team leader take active influence on the team building process?
- How can mutual trust be generated in the team? What can compromise that trust?
- Culture, behaviour, norms and values: What does the team leader have to take into account in terms of (cultural) similarities and differences when dealing with intercultural teams?
- What practical influences do culture and the contents of the cultural dimensions have on the behaviour of international colleagues in my team? What are their expectations towards me as the team leader?
- Diversity and conflicts in intercultural teams: Which solution strategies are suitable and how can diversity become an advantage?
- What are the special issues of leading a multi-regional team and how do I handle them? What do I have to bear in mind?
Our seminar is founded upon the method of “experience-based learning”. We combine short lectures on specific topics with working in small groups on practical problems that arise in team leadership. The participants‘ active engagement with practical intercultural problems is an important part of the workshop. The learning process is supplemented by the participants’ exchanging their experiences in team leading. Practical check lists and tools will help the participants transfer the contents of the seminar to concrete project work.
The seminar addresses leading executives and project managers working in an international environment as well as employees who want to prepare for future (international/multicultural) team leading tasks. Experiences in staff management are an advantage, but no requirement.
Duration: 2 days
Dates: by request
Number of participants: max. 12
Trainer: Frank Bannys, Dipl.-Kaufmann (business school graduate) (about the instructor)
Price: 1.180,- € plus VAT (1.404,20 € gross)
Beverages, snacks and seminar documents are included. The participants receive a certificate upon completing the seminar.
We look forward to welcoming you on this training course.
The open seminar is currently only available in German; trainings inhouse in English on request. For additional information please see our German homepage: Team-Management – International führen.
If you wish to book this course as an inhouse seminar, please use the contact form.
You are reading: International team management