Communicating successfully with U.S. Americans
This seminar helps you gain a better understanding of interaction backgrounds in the U.S. – in business as well as in private contexts. You will be enabled to react to small talk in a flexible and competent way and communicate with Americans effectively. The workshop prepares you for short or long-term business trips to the U.S. and creates the foundation for a successful cooperation with American colleagues and business partners.
• Intercultural communication and competence
The U.S.A. – almost a continent
• Regions and federal states in the U.S.: differences, multiculturalism, and regional specifics
The U.S.A. and Germany
• How Americans see themselves/ How do they see us and how do we see them? (self-perception, perception of others, stereotyping)
• Cultural dimensions and cultural standards
Information and communication patterns
• Expressions of greeting and courtesy – famous and feared at the same time: small talk and “how are you?”
• Facial expressions, gesture, posture
• Politeness, directness, social networks and etiquette, spelling and speaking style
Doing business in the U.S.A.
• Power and control, status and hierarchy
• Professional communication style
• German and American managers
• Behaviour in daily business life (negotiations, meetings, presentations, customer relations)
• Intercultural interface management Germany/U.S.
• Private contacts: etiquette, small talk, patterns of behaviour and manners, invitations
• Everyday culture
• Separation of private and business life
You will be enabled to set your own cultural background in relation to the U.S.A. You will strengthen your intercultural competence and your reflective skills in order to benefit from the full potential of the cooperation. The information you receive in the workshop about U.S. American ways of thinking and acting will help you react appropriately in business and private situations and prevent misunderstandings.
This training features a variety of methods: group work, simulations, role-play, discussions and communication exercises. These practical activities are supplemented by short lectures that clarify theoretical background information and thus facilitate the structured approach to pertinent material. An extensive collection of books, films and other illustrative material is provided for self-study during breaks.
For further study, all handouts and materials used during the seminar are provided for each participant.
This seminar addresses participants whose professional activities require them to take on tasks in the U.S.A. and who have to establish contact with U.S. Americans. At the same time, it is suitable for participants working with U.S. American team or business partners in Germany.
Duration: 2 days
Dates: by request
Number of participants: max. 12
Trainers: Monika Stahl, Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing. (FH) or Frank Bannys, Dipl.-Kfm. (business school graduate) (about the instructor)
Price: € 980,– plus VAT
Beverages, snacks and seminar documents are included. The participants receive a certificate upon completing the seminar.
We look forward to welcoming you on this training course.
The open seminar is currently only available in German. Inhouse seminars can be held in German or English on request. For additional information please see our German homepage: Interkulturelles Training USA.
If you wish to book this course as an inhouse seminar, please use the contact form.
You are reading: Intercultural Training USA